Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Football....

Dylan has a huge love for the game, and last year played flag, and I was totally ok with it. Then all of these boys got in their heads that they wanted to play the big mans game of TACKLE. So...I gave in and we all signed up. We have such a GOOD group of boys and we were all very lucky to all get on the SPeCIal ForCEs team. SOOOOO much fUn!!!! But I have to admit, the first time I heard the helmets hit at our first scrimage game....the mom in me thought "what have I done?"


There has been several weeks of practice in the HOT HOT.......lots of sweat, and ........

Well, tonight my eyes welled up with tears as my sweet Dylan came off the field after practice drenched in sweat and "oh crap" in his eyes. This little boy is working so dang hard and is loving the sport soooo much, and as a mom I have to wonder at the end of the day are we doing the right thing.....is tackle too much for a 53 pound 8 yr old?! With tears rolling down his face, My HeaRT broke....and all I could say was, these are the days that you grow the most!!!!

Danget, it's hard as a mom to see them work so hard that they cry....by the way, Dylan would kill me it he knew I was blogging about this.

There has been soo many little life lessons along the way, we have amazing coaches that are not only teaching our boys football, but teaching them how to be amazing MEN. Dylan came home from his first game and tells me, "Mom, do you know there are men that are fighting for our country? We are the special forces, and we have to go out on that field and fight for our team just like those men that are fighting so hard for us" Then he sits there for a few min and then says "mom its kinda like in life, we have to fight hard for what is right!"



I love this Kid. Sometimes, I admit, I expect too much out of him. Gosh darn it....sometimes I am hard on him.....but it's because I know what he is Made OF, he is destined for something big....he has such a tender spirit, and by far more in tune to the spirit than most 8 year olds. The only thing hard about Tackle he would say is hitting your friends. He has such a timid personality, anyone that knows him would tell you that this is a far stretch for him. (outside his comfort zone that is) He is so shy, and I love that this is helping him break out of that and make new friends. I never thought I would say this, but seeing him goof off with these boys makes me soooo happy inside.

I love our new little Football Family and everything this sport is giving to Dylan.

2 comments:

Monica said...

What a fabulous post Elli. Dylan is a great boy. We too are so thankful for our little "family". These kids are learning such great life lessons. We just love spending time with all of you! Tell Dylan to keep his head up. He is doing AWESOME. They sure did have to run alot last night huh? I think I would have cried too!!

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

I am so looking forward to all this for Callie when she starts softball. She needs to learn how to run around and be goofy, laugh, and just plain have fun with girls her age. She is WAY too shy and it kills me. I hope this will break open her shell and she will be able to blossom.

There was a football team practicing next to Cody's baseball team yesterday, if my kids had to do what that coach was making them do, I WOULD BE THE ONE CRYING!! Tell Dylan we are proud of him for sticking it out and facing the big boys.